Are you tired of buying overpriced honey that claims to have health benefits but falls short? Look no further, as this article will guide you on how to purchase authentic medical grade Manuka honey.
With increasing concerns about fake products, it’s important to know the right way to buy this superfood.
What Is Medical Grade Manuka Honey?
- What Is Medical Grade Manuka Honey?
- How To Identify Genuine Medical Grade Manuka Honey?
- Where Can You Buy Medical Grade Manuka Honey?
- Directly from the Manufacturer
- What Is the Recommended Dosage for Medical Grade Manuka Honey?
- Are There Any Side Effects of Using Medical Grade Manuka Honey?
- How To Store Medical Grade Manuka Honey?
- What Are The Benefits Of Medical Grade Manuka Honey?
- Frequently Asked Questions
Medical grade Manuka honey is a special type of honey that is derived from the nectar of the Manuka tree in New Zealand. It possesses unique properties that distinguish it from regular honey.
This type of honey contains high levels of methylglyoxal (MGO), which gives it its antibacterial and healing properties. It is commonly used in wound care, skincare, and as a natural remedy for various ailments.
When purchasing medical grade Manuka honey, it is important to look for a UMF (Unique Manuka Factor) certification, as this indicates the quality and potency of the honey.
Interestingly, the Indigenous Māori people of New Zealand have been using Manuka honey for centuries due to its medicinal properties.
How To Identify Genuine Medical Grade Manuka Honey?
When it comes to purchasing medical grade manuka honey, it is important to ensure that you are getting a genuine product that meets the high standards of quality and potency.
In this section, we will discuss the key factors to look for when identifying genuine medical-grade manuka honey.
These include checking for a UMF or MGO rating, verifying a license number from the UMF Honey Association, and looking for the words “medical grade” on the label.
By following these guidelines, you can confidently purchase authentic medical grade manuka honey for its various health benefits.
1. Look for a UMF or MGO Rating
When purchasing medical grade Manuka honey, it is crucial to seek out a UMF or MGO rating to ensure the authenticity and quality of the product.
- UMF or MGO rating: It is important to look for a Unique Manuka Factor (UMF) or Methylglyoxal (MGO) rating on the label as these indicate the concentration of antibacterial properties in the honey.
- UMF 15+ or MGO 400+: To receive optimal therapeutic benefits, it is recommended to choose a honey with a UMF 15+ or MGO 400+ rating.
- Third-party tested: It is essential to ensure that the honey has been independently tested and certified by reputable organizations to guarantee its authenticity.
When purchasing medical grade Manuka honey, it is crucial to have knowledge about the rating system and select a trustworthy brand to ensure the best Manuka honey product for your health needs.
2. Check for a License Number from the UMF Honey Association
To ensure the authenticity of medical grade Manuka honey, follow these steps to check for a license number from the UMF Honey Association:
- Look for the UMF or MGO rating on the label. It indicates the level of antibacterial activity.
- Verify that the label includes the words “Medical Grade.” This ensures that the honey is specifically produced for medical purposes.
- Check for a license number from the UMF Honey Association. This indicates that the honey meets the association’s standards for quality and authenticity.
Fact: The UMF Honey Association is an independent organization that tests and certifies the quality of Manuka honey. Checking for their license number is crucial in guaranteeing the authenticity of medical grade Manuka honey.
3. Look for the Words “Medical Grade” on the Label
When searching for medical grade manuka honey, it is crucial to carefully examine the label for the presence of the phrase “medical grade.” To help you identify authentic medical grade manuka honey, here are some steps to follow:
- Thoroughly read the label and look for the words “medical grade.”
- Check for a UMF or MGO rating, which indicates the level of antibacterial activity.
- Ensure that the honey has a license number from the UMF Honey Association, as this guarantees its quality.
By following these steps, you can be confident that you are purchasing genuine medical grade manuka honey for its therapeutic benefits.
Where Can You Buy Medical Grade Manuka Honey?
If you’re interested in experiencing the many health benefits of medical-grade manuka honey, you may be wondering where you can purchase this special variety.
Look no further – in this section, we will explore the two main options for buying medical-grade manuka honey: health food stores and online retailers.
Each option has its own pros and cons, and we’ll discuss them in detail so you can make an informed decision on where to buy your next jar of this golden elixir.
1. Health Food Stores
When searching for medical grade Manuka honey, health food stores are an excellent option. Here are some steps to follow when purchasing from health food stores:
- Research: Prior to visiting the store, conduct research on the available brands and types of medical grade Manuka honey.
- Check for certifications: Be sure to look for products with certifications such as UMF or MGO ratings, which indicate the quality and authenticity of the honey.
- Read labels: Pay close attention to labels and search for the term “medical grade” to ensure you are purchasing the correct product.
- Compare prices: Compare prices among different brands and sizes to find the best value for your money.
- Ask for assistance: If you have any questions or need guidance, do not hesitate to ask the store staff for help.
2. Online Retailers
When searching for medical grade Manuka honey, online retailers offer a convenient and reliable option. Here are the necessary steps to consider when making a purchase from an online retailer:
- Research reputable online retailers that specialize in natural health products, such as Amazon.com.
- Read customer reviews and ratings to ensure the retailer is trustworthy.
- Check if the online retailer carries certified medical grade Manuka honey.
- Compare prices and shipping options between different online retailers.
- Ensure the online retailer has a secure payment system to protect your personal information.
- Place your order and wait for the honey to be delivered to your doorstep.
In recent years, online retailers have become increasingly popular for purchasing health products, including medical grade Manuka honey. This is due to their wide selection, convenience, and competitive pricing.
Online platforms have revolutionized the way people shop for health products, providing a seamless and efficient buying experience.
Directly from the Manufacturer
When it comes to purchasing medical grade manuka honey, there are a few key factors to consider. One option is to buy directly from the manufacturer, such as New Zealand Honey Co.
To ensure you are getting the best product, there are a few things to look for when buying directly from the manufacturer.
These include checking for a UMF or MGO rating, ensuring the product has a license number from the UMF Honey Association, and looking for the words “medical grade” on the label.
Let’s take a closer look at these factors and why they are important in determining the quality of medical grade manuka honey.
What Is the Recommended Dosage for Medical Grade Manuka Honey?
To achieve optimal results when using medical grade Manuka honey, it is important to follow the recommended dosage. The specific dosage may vary depending on the health condition being treated.
In most cases, it is recommended to begin with a small amount, such as one teaspoon per day, and gradually increase the dosage as needed.
It is always advised to consult with a healthcare professional or carefully follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer of the product being used.
By adhering to the recommended dosage, you can ensure that you are receiving the appropriate amount of Manuka honey to support your health goals.
Are There Any Side Effects of Using Medical Grade Manuka Honey?
Is it Safe to Use Medical Grade Manuka Honey?
Using medical-grade Manuka honey is generally considered safe, with no known serious side effects. However, some individuals may experience mild allergic reactions, such as itching or redness, when applying it topically.
It is important to note that those with diabetes should use caution due to the natural sugar content in honey. As with any new product, it is recommended to do a patch test before extensive use.
If you have any concerns or experience any adverse reactions, it is best to consult with a healthcare professional.
How To Store Medical Grade Manuka Honey?
Storing medical-grade Manuka honey properly is crucial to maintain its quality and effectiveness. Follow these steps to store it correctly:
- Keep it in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
- Ensure the lid is tightly sealed to prevent air and moisture from entering.
- Avoid storing it near strong-smelling substances as it can absorb odors.
- Do not refrigerate, as it can crystallize and lose its medicinal properties.
- Check the expiration date and use it before that for optimum benefits.
Pro-tip: Use a clean, dry spoon to scoop out the honey to prevent contamination and maintain its purity.
What Are The Benefits Of Medical Grade Manuka Honey?
Medical grade Manuka honey is known for its numerous health benefits, making it a popular choice for both natural remedies and medical treatments.
In this section, we will delve into the benefits of this powerful honey, including its antibacterial properties, anti-inflammatory effects, and wound healing abilities.
By understanding the unique properties of medical grade Manuka honey, you can make an informed decision about incorporating it into your health and wellness routine. Let’s dive in.
1. Antibacterial Properties
Medical grade Manuka honey is renowned for its powerful antibacterial properties, making it a popular choice for treating wounds and fighting infections. To ensure you are purchasing genuine medical grade Manuka honey, follow these steps:
- Check for a UMF or MGO rating, which indicates the honey’s unique Manuka factor.
- Verify the presence of a license number from the UMF Honey Association, guaranteeing its authenticity.
- Look for the label to include the words “Medical Grade,” indicating that it meets specific standards for medical use.
You can purchase medical grade Manuka honey from health food stores, online retailers, or directly from the manufacturer. It is important to follow the recommended dosage instructions.
While there are typically no side effects, some individuals may be allergic or experience digestive issues. Store the honey in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
2. Anti-Inflammatory Effects
Medical grade Manuka honey is well-known for its potent anti-inflammatory effects. To fully utilize its benefits, follow these steps:
- Topical Application: Apply a thin layer of medical grade Manuka honey directly to the affected area.
- Leave it on: Allow the honey to remain on the skin for at least 20 minutes.
- Rinse off: Gently wash off the honey with warm water.
- Repeat: Apply the honey 2-3 times a day for optimal results.
- Monitor progress: Keep track of any improvements in inflammation and overall skin condition.
3. Wound Healing Properties
Medical grade Manuka honey has remarkable wound healing properties, making it an effective treatment for various skin conditions and wounds.
- Apply a thin layer of medical grade Manuka honey directly to the wound.
- Cover the wound with a sterile dressing to protect it.
- Change the dressing and reapply the honey every 24 to 48 hours.
- Continue the treatment until the wound is healed.
In the early 1900s, renowned surgeon Dr. Patrick A. Bouvier used honey in World War I to treat soldiers’ wounds, where he observed its remarkable wound healing properties.
Since then, medical-grade Manuka honey has been widely used in hospitals and clinics around the world for its proven effectiveness in promoting wound healing.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is Medical Grade Manuka Honey and how is it different from regular honey?
Medical Grade Manuka Honey is a specific type of honey that is produced by bees that pollinate the Manuka plant in New Zealand. It contains a unique compound called methylglyoxal (MGO) which gives it its medicinal properties and sets it apart from regular honey.
2. How do I know if I am buying authentic Medical Grade Manuka Honey?
Authentic Medical Grade Manuka Honey will have a UMF (Unique Manuka Factor) or MGO (methylglyoxal) rating on the label. This indicates that the honey has been tested and certified for its purity and potency. Look for a UMF rating of 15+ or an MGO rating of 400+ for the most effective honey.
3. Can I buy Medical Grade Manuka Honey online?
Yes, you can purchase Medical Grade Manuka Honey from reputable online retailers. However, it is important to make sure that the honey is certified and has a valid UMF or MGO rating. Be cautious of buying from unknown or unverified sources to avoid purchasing fake or diluted honey.
4. How should I store Medical Grade Manuka Honey?
It is recommended to store Medical Grade Manuka Honey in a cool, dry place away from direct heat or sunlight. It does not need to be refrigerated, but if you live in a hot climate, you may want to refrigerate it to prevent it from crystallizing. Do not freeze the honey as it can alter its medicinal properties.
5. How can I use Medical Grade Manuka Honey for medicinal purposes?
Medical Grade Manuka Honey can be used topically or ingested for its medicinal properties. You can apply it directly to wounds or burns to promote healing and prevent infection. It can also be used as a natural remedy for sore throat, digestive issues, and skin conditions. Always consult with a healthcare professional before using it for medical purposes.
6. Is Medical Grade Manuka Honey safe for everyone to consume?
While Medical Grade Manuka Honey is generally safe for consumption, it is not recommended for infants under the age of 12 months. It is also important to note that people with allergies to bees or pollen should avoid consuming Manuka Honey. If you have any pre-existing medical conditions or are taking any medications, consult with your doctor before consuming Medical Grade Manuka Honey.
I’m a Manuka honey enthusiast and creator of Manuka Honey Organic, a blog where I share my journey with authentic Manuka honey from New Zealand. I want everyone to learn about the healing powers of Manuka honey.